Angel V. Shannon, CEO and Practice Owner
Angel V. Shannon, MS, CRNP, is a board-certified adult-geriatric nurse practitioner specializing in functional medicine and integrative health for adults and seniors. Drawing upon over twenty five years of experience in chronic disease care and personal study of mind-body medicine, Angel takes a uniquely integrative approach to preventive health care. Using the tools of functional medicine and mindfulness, Angel’s patients uncover root causes of their conditions, developing strategies that change their lives, not just their symptoms.
Highlights of Angel’s dynamic career include her first position as an intensive care unit nurse at the world renowned Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore to whom she credits for giving her a solid foundation of excellence in critical care nursing; her many years as a coronary care/CCU nurse at the esteemed University of Maryland Medical Center; her experience gained at United Healthcare where she learned the many ins and outs of healthcare insurance and policy, and her most meaningful experience as a community health nurse working throughout the Greater Baltimore region for the Visiting Nurses Association of Baltimore.
Angel earned her masters of nursing at the University of Maryland, School of Nursing in Baltimore while also working as a graduate teaching assistant in the Department of Family and Community Health. Prior to graduate study, she earned her baccalaureate in nursing at the esteemed Penn State University College of Nursing and studied business management and finance at St. Johns University in New York.
In addition to her role as a clinician, Angel believes strongly in the importance of educating the next generation of nursing leaders. She is an adjunct instructor of Family and Community Health at her alma mater, Penn State University College of Nursing. She holds strong ties to her community in Maryland and is an active board member of the Maryland Community Research Advisory Board for the University of Maryland, School of Public Health Center for Health Equity (MD-CRAB).
Angel’s personal foundation is rooted in mind-body wellness which she strives to make accessible in her surrounding communities. In 2008, after earning her credential as a Registered Yoga Teacher, she developed a highly successful community based gentle yoga program specifically for older adults and seniors in Northwest Baltimore City and County. A lifelong learner, Angel is a proud student of the U.S. Kuosho Academy in Owings Mills Maryland where for the past four years she has studied the ancient practice of T’ai Chi and QiGong — knowledge she skillfully weaves into her clinical practice.
A frequently sought after seminar leader, Angel is a dynamic speaker who writes and lectures frequently on healthy aging, mindfulness and prevention-focused healthcare.
- Masters of Science, Adult-Gerontological Nurse Practitioner, University of Maryland School of Nursing, MD
- Bachelors of Science, Nursing, Penn State University College of Nursing, PA
- Business Management, St. Johns University, NY
- Certified Yoga Teacher, RYT-200, Yama Therapeutics, MD
- National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO)
- National Association of Professional Women (NAPW)
- American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE)
- Sigma Theta Tau International, Honor Society for Nursing (STTI)
Advisory Board Appointments:
- Board Member, Maryland Community Research Advisory Board, University of Maryland School of Public Health, Center for Health Equity (MD-CRAB) (2015 – present)
- Board Member, Johns Hopkins Community Research Advisory Board (2016)
- Board Member, Maryland Association of Diabetes Educators (MD-ADE), (2014 – 2017)
- Food, Mood & Mental Health: A Functional Approach to Healthy Aging, Nutrametrix Custom Health Solutions, Healthcare Provider Online Summit
- Food & Mood: Functional Medicine For Mental Health, Professional Provider Educational Series, Seva Health, Pikesville, Maryland
- Sleep Disorders in Dementia Care, Annual Conference of the Alzheimers Association of Maryland, Towson, Maryland
- Sleep Disorders in Dementia Care, Arden Courts Memory Care Center of Towson, Baltimore Maryland
- Nuts and Bolts of Behavioral Health in the Assisted Living Setting, Anne Arundel County Department of Aging, Maryland
- ABCs and 123s of Vitamins and Supplements, Senior Center Speaker Series, Catonsville Senior Center, Catonsville, Maryland
- It Takes a Village: Strengthening Cultural Competency in Diabetes Education, Maryland Association of Diabetes Educator 2015 Annual Conference
- Cultural Competency: Beyond Black and White, Tidewater Community College 2014 Faculty Leadership Program, Virginia Beach, Virginia